Philippe Chartrand Dubois (1825- 1889) was born at the Ariadne sugar refinery in Limonar, Matanzas, on May 31, 1825. He was from a wealthy family of French ancestry, and traveled to Paris in 1854, where he studied painting under the influence of the landscape painters of the Barbizon School. He dedicated his life to the landscape genre and obtained his major recognition for small-format works such as wood panels, dishes, fans and other miniatures. In August of 1886 he was named the first Interim Professor of Landscape and Perspective at the San Alejandro Academy. He held this position until November of that year. He passed away in Cuba on August 9, 1889. Of his pictorial production, thirty-one works are preserved at the National Museum of Fine Arts, in Havana. His paintings have been shown in the main exhibits of Cuban art, such as: 300 Anos de Arte en Cuba (300 Hundred Years of Art in Cuba), at the University of Havana, in April of 1940 and La Pintura Colonial en Cuba (The Colonial Painting in Cuba), at the Capitolio Nacional (National Capitol), Havana, in 1950.